Pyramid Comment

This journal takes an alternative view on current affairs and other subjects. The approach is likely to be contentious and is arguably speculative. The content of any article is also a reminder of the status of those affairs at that date. All comments have been disabled. Any and all unsolicited or unauthorised links are absolutely disavowed.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

UK Record Industry and Copyright

Private copying of intellectual property seems a confused issue - for the consumer.
Me!


It seems I am not allowed to listen to an original physical CD legally purchased if I am not where the CD exists. I may be travelling or just away from this location. I cannot be in two places at the same time and if I have copied legally purchased music to an iPod (or 'similar' device). I cannot hear it at two places simultaneously.

Why cannot I consider copying this intellectual property, that I have legally purchased, for my own use legal? I am not reselling it, just lawfully listening to my lawfully purchased property.

[Incidentally, the iTrip FM transmitter for wireless use with an iPod and any radio is now legal in the UK - 8th December 2006. Yes, we have caught up with the rest of the world at last. It could hardly have been considered a broadcasting source from WITHIN your car to a distance of only a few feet!]

I am puzzled and more than just a little irritated by the heavy handed assumption that I am doing something to infringe the rights of the copyright holder. I am not. Certainly I am not knowingly acting illegally. But I feel as though I am a criminal.

The rights holder can easily authorise private copying. That is, just shifting from format (CD) to format (iPod) using a legal source of music.


Update: 04.08.2011
Now LEGAL in UK